Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Aviation Lesson


Harold the Helicopter from Thomas the Train books is always a bright smiling happy helicopter. Well, as Anna was learning about her different aviation vehicles, she would always call Harold an airplane. Poor Harold, I'm sure that would have taken away his smile! I certainly couldn't let that go on for very long, so today we dropped by the Gilbert Hospital on our way home. I spoke with the front office person and asked about showing my daughter their helicopter close up. I was kind of expecting either a "no", or being able to maybe look out of a window near the helipad. Little did I know how cool Native Air was! I received a personal tour with the girls right on the helipad with the paramedic that actually goes on each flight. He taught us all about how helicopters work, what they take for each flight, how much it costs to operate one, and all these really neat details about helicopters! Anna had so much fun looking at it, and touching everything. She would have gotten a chance to sit inside had it not been for the mechanic currently working on it. Anyway, the paramedic even took our picture - nicest guy ever!
Harold definitely won't be mistaken for an airplane ever again!

8 comments:

Becca said...

Wow - that is awesome. Maybe I'll ask next time we are at the hospital...

Chad~Nicole said...

Awesome! Goes to show it never hurts to ask, right?

Tim said...

I'll bet your friend "Jackson" could have gotten the two of you a quick ride...

SueAnn said...

My girls would love that! So fun!

Natalie said...

That is awesome!!!

Boyd Fam said...

WOW!!!!!

Birches said...

That sounds really cool!

Rob and Jen said...

You're such a great mom to even think of asking!!! My mom was a "teaching" mom like that--always taking every opportunity to expose us to exciting things to learn and see (and now she's that kind of Grandma--I love it)! What a great way to make a memory!!!